What is Scar Revision Surgery?
Scar revision is surgery intended to minimize the look of existing scars so they blend better with the surrounding skin tissue. With a scar revision surgery, advanced wound closure techniques can ameliorate the look of old scars that may be raised, discolored and unsightly.
- Long-lasting results
- Local anesthesia
Am I a Candidate for Scar Revision?
Scar revision may be a good option for you if:
- You have an unsightly scar anywhere on your body
- You are physically healthy
- You do not smoke
- You do not have active acne or other skin diseases in the area to be treated
Scar Revision Procedure
- Incision is made to surgically remove the old scar
- Some scars will require layered closure, meaning that the scar extends down many tissue layers and needs gradual suturing on different layers of skin, particularly in areas of the body where there is frequent movement of the skin.
- Complex flap closure or tissue substitutes/tissue expansion may be necessary
Localized swelling, discoloration or discomfort should subside within two weeks
The new incision wound will take a few weeks to fade and refine, and full healing and fading may take up to six months
Schedule a Consultation
To learn more about scar revision surgery or to schedule a consultation at our office in NYC, call (212) 472-2900.