Breast reduction, otherwise known as reduction mammaplasty, is a procedure in which excess fat and tissue are removed from the breast to achieve a more proportional figure. Breast reduction can ease the burden that heavy breasts place on the back and shoulders, which can reduce physical and emotional discomfort and improve quality of life.
The improvement in physical wellbeing associated with breast reduction may be used for justification of insurance coverage.
A breast reduction is often done in conjunction with a breast lift to give the breasts a firmer, more lifted appearance.
Dr. Lorenc’s surgical objective with breast reduction surgery is to alleviate the discomfort associated with heavy breasts and to achieve better breast proportion and comfort.
Who is an ideal candidate?
Breast reduction surgery may be right for you if you have overly large breasts that cause back or neck pain. You may also consider breast reduction if you experience skin irritation under your breasts. Breast reduction surgery may also be a good option for you if your breast size prevents you from:
• Enjoying sports or other physical activities
• Finding clothes that fit well
• Feeling comfortable with your appearance
Other considerations that should be weighed when determining if breast reduction is right for you include:
• Your health: No underlying health conditions that may make healing more difficult
• Your expectations: Individuals should approach breast reduction surgery with positive and realistic expectations