Excess fat and glandular tissue in the breasts is a common condition in men known as gynecomastia. Gynecomastia may be caused by:
• Hormonal imbalances
• Use of certain medications
• Weight changes
Men with gynecomastia may opt to receive a breast reduction surgery, a procedure in which excess tissue in the breasts is removed. A male breast reduction surgery requires twilight anesthesia and small incisions, resulting in a shorter recovery time.
Dr. Lorenc’s surgical objective with male breast reduction is to reduce the physical and emotional discomfort caused by gynecomastia.
Who is an ideal candidate?
Breast reduction surgery is intended for men who are physically health and within a normal weight range whose gynecomastia cannot be resolved by a change in medical treatment. You may consider breast reduction surgery if the size of your breasts:
• Causes you pain or discomfort during physical activity or exercise
• Makes you feel self-conscious during intimacy
• Impairs your self-confidence
Other considerations that should be weighed when determining if breast reduction surgery is right for you include:
• Your health: No underlying health conditions that may make healing more difficult
• Your age: Breasts should be fully developed to avoid changes after surgery
• Your expectations: Men should approach breast reduction with positive and realistic expectations