What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast Augmentation (breast enlargement) is performed to increase breast size and/or fix breast asymmetry. Many candidates include women who want larger breasts, and those who want to restore the breast volume often lost as a result of pregnancy or significant weight loss. Breasts can be enlarged with silicone or saline implants.
Quick facts on Breast Enlargement
- IV sedation or general anesthesia
- Outpatient procedure
- Long-lasting results
The ideal candidate for Breast Augmentation
You may be a good candidate for breast augmentation if you want to:
- Augment breast size
- Improve breast shape
- Add proportion and cleavage
The Breast Augmentation Procedure
- Breast Augmentation can be achieved through a periareolar incision around the areolas
- An inframammary (under the breast) incision is made in the crease below the breasts, or a trans-axillary (across the armpit) incision may be created in the natural creases of the armpit
- Dr. Lorenc will discuss whether submuscular (under the pectoral muscle) or subglandular (under the breast tissue) implant placement would be best
- Silicone gel implants were FDA approved for breast augmentation in 2008, and they are Dr. Lorenc’s first choice in implants, although saline filled breast implants can also be used upon request
- In some cases, fat grafting may also be used to augment your breasts with or without an implant.
A breast implant is a soft, silicone envelope with various fillers that is surgically implanted under the tissues of your chest to simulate natural breast tissue. The sac may be filled with a silicone gel or saline (salt water). The implants can be round or teardrop shaped, with a textured or smooth coating.
Breast Augmentation Recovery Process
- Immediately after procedure you can expect to feel stiff and sore
- Sleep on your back for the first week after procedure
- You will be able to return to work in approximately one week
- Strenuous activity or any lifting should be avoided until cleared by Dr. Lorenc
- Incisions will begin to fade in approximately three to five weeks
Schedule a Consultation
If you are interested in learning more about Breast Augmentation, contact our office to schedule a consultation with NYC Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Paul Lorenc. Our practice serves New York City, Manhattan and surrounding areas.