Otoplasty in New York City
Dr. Lorenc performs otoplasty, or ear surgery, on both children and adults who wish to reshape, reposition, and re-proportion the ear. Some procedures correct a defect in the ear structure that is present at birth but only becomes apparent with development, while others treat ears affected by injury. Every person is unique, so during a consultation, Dr. Lorenc will advise what he thinks is best for you.
Am I a good candidate for ear surgery?
- Overly large ears/macrotia
- Protruding ears occurring on one or both sides
- Dissatisfaction with previous ear surgery
The Otoplasty Procedure
- An incision is made behind the ear in the natural fold where the ear meets the scalp
- A small amount of cartilage and skin are removed to reshape the ear
- The cartilage may be pinned back closer to the head with permanent sutures to secure it in place
- Local anesthesia is used
- Results are immediate when dressing is removed
Ear Surgery Recovery & Healing
- There will be discomfort in the first few days that can be managed with pain medication
- The head should always be elevated in first few days to reduce swelling
- The ears will be wrapped in a headband-like dressing
- After about 1 week, normal activity can be resumed
- After bandages are removed in five to seven days, the patient will need to wear a soft headband for a period of time that covers the ears in order to hold them in their proper position
- Avoid exercise for three weeks
Schedule a Consultation
If you are interested in learning more about Otoplasty, and would like to see if you are a good candidate, contact our office to schedule a consultation with NYC Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Paul Lorenc.